Generally, hamsters come from a hot or arid region where there is not enough water they also do not like to get wet. If they are wet they would like to be dry immediately. But this does not mean that they do not know how to swim. If they accidentally get into the water they know how to swim and they immediately want to get out from there. They cannot swim very long and try to keep their head above the water.
They are just able to swim till they save themselves from drowning. They do not like it when they are wet and don’t enjoy the sensations of being wet or playing with water. Talking about small hamsters, they can also swim to save their lives irrespective of their small size.
Do hamsters like to swim?
Hamsters can swim to save their lives but it doesn’t mean they love doing this. Hamsters do not love to be in the water and they immediately want to get out if they accidentally get into the water. One of the reasons behind this is that hamsters come from arid regions and they do not like to get wet. It is also advised not to put the hamster directly into the water to bathe them.
They just want to drink water only and not to come in contact with it. But if you have adopted a baby hamster and you give them a bath on daily basis and get them into the water, then there may be possibilities that he might love to swim and enjoy the sensations of being in the water.
Can hamsters swim in bathtubs or pools?
A bathtub could be considered the safest place to leave the hamster for swimming. In the bathtub, you can control the level of water and it could be easy for the hamsters to swim in it but sometimes hamsters get panic as the walls of the bathtub are smooth and it becomes difficult to grip the walls. In such a case, they might freak out.
Talking about the pools, it is not a good choice to leave the hamsters in the pool to swim. Pools are not designed for hamsters to swim. They might lose their calm in the pool. These types of things can affect their happiness and health too. Therefore it is not a good option to leave your hamsters in a place where they don’t love to be.
Various risks for hamsters if they get wet
Being wet is not safe for the health of hamsters and it could lead to some fatal diseases. Here we will discuss various risks of hamsters that an owner should know.
1. Bad effect on the immune system of the hamster:
Getting a hamster wet can badly affect the immune system of the hamster. It can give them emotional stress which is not good at all for a little hamster. This increases the health complications of hamsters. You should give them a healthy diet to keep their immune system strong and add things like strawberries, spinach, bananas, and watermelons to their diet.
2. Getting wet washed away the natural oil of hamsters:
Keeping your hamster wet can remove all the natural oil from the hamster’s body which is present in the fur of pets. This oil helps to nourish baby hamsters and is essential for their growth. These oils keep the hamster’s fur healthy and also give them warmth. Giving them a bath or keeping them wet for a longer time may remove all essential oils from their body.
3. Hamsters may get uncomfortable or stressed:
Keeping hamsters wet accidentally or intentionally may give them stress and they can be uncomfortable with this state. Sudden changes in hamsters are not good at all and they become more sensitive. As hamsters come from hot regions and this kind of these king of sudden changes can cause mental trauma to them which is not good for their health.
4. Keeping the hamster wet leads to pneumonia and cold:
Keeping the hamster wet can lead to pneumonia and cold in them and shows the signs like wheezing, appetite loss, will refusal to eat anything, sneezing, and discharge from both eyes. If these symptoms are shown by hamsters then immediately take him to the vet as it can lead to pneumonia which is a fatal disease for hamsters.
Things to do if your hamster is wet
As we discussed that keeping hamsters wet is not safe at all for their health and immune system. So you should be aware that your hamster can’t get wet for a longer period of time. Here are a few steps you have to follow in case your hamster is wet.
- First of all, try to dry the hamster with a soft towel thoroughly.
- When the towel dry part is done, try to make them dry by using the dryer, and remember to keep it in cool mode as hot airs can give them pain. This will speed up the process to make the hamster dry.
- Cover the ventilated cage of hamsters so no air can pass through them and make the hamster feel cold again. They will feel colder after this because their natural oils are washed away which helps them keep warm. So you have to be more careful about the surrounding of your hamster.
- You need to keep an eye on your pet after this incident and if he shows any unusual effects then immediately rush to the vet before it gets worse.
- Also, you need to give them a good diet as this problem affects the immune system of hamsters so you have to build their immune system strong.
- They feel stressed and unhappy so you need to spend some time with your pet to keep them happy and relaxed.
Hamsters are playful pets but there are many things you should know about them and one of them is hamsters do not love to be in the water. They can swim and know how to save their lives if they accidentally get into the water. But it doesn’t mean you keep them in water to make them swim. There are many adverse effects of this on their health. So it is better to keep them away from water as much as possible.
Leave a Reply