Hamsters can eat different fruits and also vegetables but only in moderation. Talking about bananas hamsters can eat them too but in small quantities only. The amount may vary from different hamsters, their capacity, and their digestive system. Banana is a large edible fruit sweet in taste and is also used to make dessert. Bananas are high in carbs and low in proteins and fats.
Also banana is a good source of various vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B6, and many other nutrients like manganese, potassium, and fiber. All types of hamsters can eat bananas but only with some limitations and restrictions. Here we will discuss everything you should know before feeding bananas to your pet hamster.
Nutritional value of banana
- Calories – 89g
- Cholesterol – 0mg
- Sodium – 1mg
- Fat – 0.3g
- Carbohydrates – 22g
- Sugar content – 12g
- Fiber – 2.5g
- Protein – 1g
- Iron – 1%
- Vitamin C – 14%
- Vitamin B6 – 21%
- Magnesium – 5%
Is feeding bananas to hamsters safe or not?
Yes, bananas are safe for hamsters but if given in moderation and it is sweet in taste. Hamsters are omnivores in nature and can eat a variety of food and also banana is one of them which can be considered a healthy snack for hamsters. They are high in carbs and low in sugar content which makes them even better for your pet.
The diet of hamsters mainly consists of wild but some owners over to feed their pets other things including vegetables and fruits which are also beneficial for them. Talking about the importance of carbohydrates in hamsters’ diets, they need to eat around 55-60% of carbohydrates in their diet and bananas contain lots of carbohydrates which is also beneficial for them.
Can hamsters eat banana peel?
Hamsters can eat bananas but feed only small pieces of it and be very careful while feeding peels of banana as large bites of it can coke your hamster. Eating banana peels can provide lots of health benefits to hamsters. You should only feed a small number of banana peels to the hamsters and both banana flesh and banana peels offer different nutrition and are interchangeable in this manner.
The nutritional value of banana peel also depends on how much banana peel is ripe. They are also rich in fiber and help in better digestion of hamsters. Fibers are good as they help in digestion without gaining weight so you have to feed fiber-rich food to your hamsters. You can also offer small pieces of banana along with the peel as it can offer potassium, magnesium, fiber, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12.
Banana peel also ensures the good health of your pet hamster and has low sugar content and it would be a good option to include banana peel in your hamster’s diet plan. But make sure you should feed only organic bananas and peel as chemicals and pesticides can cause indigestion and many health risks. Also, do not forget to remove the uneaten pieces or residue from the hamster’s cage as they become rotten or unhealthy after leaving for a few hours and could be harmful to hamsters.
Can baby hamsters eat a banana?
Baby hamsters can eat solid food after 3 weeks of their birth. After that, you can start feeding little amount of food in their diet. Baby hamsters can also eat bananas but only in little quantities and you should offer smashed bananas so that they cannot get themselves choked. But remember bananas should not be the main food while they are growing up. AS they require all kinds of food and nutrients to make themselves fit and healthy.
Can we feed bananas daily to hamsters?
Banana can be a healthy snack as it contains lots of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that a hamster need in their daily diet but they cannot fulfill all their requirements. Everything is better in its own way but moderation is necessary as it may also cause some health issues if feeding one thing on the daily basis. Also, they need variations in their diet so that they can also enjoy their meal rather than fill their stomach.
They need a complete and healthy balance diet for their overall growth and development. Hamsters are very small and they require lots of useful ingredients and banana could be a healthy snack but cannot be a staple food for them.
Benefits of eating a banana for hamsters
- Carbohydrates are the main ingredient of bananas and in spite of that, it is also good in fibers which help in the digestion of hamsters.
- Vitamin C is also necessary for hamsters and they cannot store it in their body and need to consume it regularly to meet their needs. Their banana is a good choice and it also contains a decent amount of vitamin C in it. Hamsters are also very much prone to scurvy which is caused by the deficiency of vitamin C and feeding vitamin C through bananas also protects them from it.
- Feeding bananas can also provide vitamin B6 which is considered an important nutrient for proper functioning n hamsters.
Risks of eating bananas on a daily basis
- There are also risks of feeding bananas to hamsters on daily basis. Bananas contain sugar but in low quantity which is quite nice but some hamsters are also suffering from diabetes and obesity and for them, eating bananas daily is not a good choice.
- Feeding bananas on daily basis can also lead to diarrhea in hamsters. If your pet is already suffering from diabetes then banana is very harmful to them and you should not give them banana ever.
- Hamsters can easily choke themselves while eating a banana as it is a solid fruit and not the juicy one. Therefore you must be very careful while feeding bananas to your pet as it may be dangerous if you are careless.
Final verdict on bananas for hamsters
Banana is a very healthy snack for hamsters even for young ones but not a staple food. Banana is good in many aspects and contains lots of essential nutrients in it but at the same time, it is also harmful to their health if served on a daily basis. Therefore it is advisable to feed bananas to your hamsters but feed only in moderation and in small pieces so they can’t get themselves choked while eating.